• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of reward contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bach8351

Tort

I agree with Zigner. (And, of course, Stevef.) As a general rule, punitive damages are not allowed in contract law, but torts. Those few cases which do allow for punitive damages in contract often say the behavior was essentially a tort.

There is no way there will be punitive damages here. They did not hurt the OP.
OK, now I have an idea of what tort is. Civil action other than a breach of contract. And punitive awards only happen in torts. Takes me a while but eventually I'll get it.

So, if punishing Verizon by making them pay through the nose to make sure they don't do this again is out of the question, why shouldn't I just do this myself rather than give the lawyer a third?

bach8351

A chance?

Because, with an attorney, you might have a chance.
Have a chance of what? Winning the case? What case? Basically, I would be going to court to try to force Verizon to hand over the reward because a judge decided that the terms of the contract have been met.
I guess if I do nothing at all, eventually I'll get the same result. I guess I might as well save my energy and money and just be willing to wait it out. I'm not willing to hand over a third of it just to prove a point and get it a few months earlier.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">