• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

broke contract with consulting firm

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gyrevik

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I signed a 1099 contract with consulting firm A that says I have to wait a year before going full time with any client they introduce me to. They put me into a client company thru consulting firm B that has a contract to provide workers for the client. I went full time with the client without taking the 1 year break. Consulting firm A is threatening to come after me for damages. I'm thinking it may be good for me to try and settle with them out of court. I'm looking for advice on how much I should try to settle for.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I signed a 1099 contract with consulting firm A that says I have to wait a year before going full time with any client they introduce me to. They put me into a client company thru consulting firm B that has a contract to provide workers for the client. I went full time with the client without taking the 1 year break. Consulting firm A is threatening to come after me for damages. I'm thinking it may be good for me to try and settle with them out of court. I'm looking for advice on how much I should try to settle for.
Ask for the farm, settle for the horse. In your case, you may have to hope they settle for your horse.

Really, there's no way any of us could answer a question such as yours. I would suggest that you speak with a local attorney. Good luck.

quincy

There is no way anyone here can tell you what would be a fair or reasonable settlement. I would think settling for the amount of damages Firm A can prove would not be unreasonable, however.

I suggest you have all facts personally reviewed by a professional in your area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">