• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broken Employment Offer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sid.feygin

California.

New member here. I was offered employment at a firm about 2 months ago. The offer was generous, and I used the offer letter to apply for a car note (paid a down payment and for insurance) and sign a lease for an apartment. I was told today that the offer was deferred due to cutbacks at the hiring firm :eek:. From what I understand that's a euphemism for rescinded. The firm offered to help me with expenses that I've incurred, but were vague about what that means. I've already mentioned that I signed the lease. I'm wondering what the company is liable for if anything before I call them back. I would like as much ammunition as I can so that I can get back to my job search without new financial stress to boot.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
California.

New member here. I was offered employment at a firm about 2 months ago. The offer was generous, and I used the offer letter to apply for a car note (paid a down payment and for insurance) and sign a lease for an apartment. I was told today that the offer was deferred due to cutbacks at the hiring firm :eek:. From what I understand that's a euphemism for rescinded. The firm offered to help me with expenses that I've incurred, but were vague about what that means. I've already mentioned that I signed the lease. I'm wondering what the company is liable for if anything before I call them back. I would like as much ammunition as I can so that I can get back to my job search without new financial stress to boot.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Absent a valid employment contract, you have no case.

Think about it this way. If they had hired you and then terminated you 2 weeks later, it would be just as legal and leave you in just as difficult a position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">