• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business Changing Ownership with Existing Tenants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michaela.11.11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?CA
I have rented a storage unit at a storage facility for about 3 years. I have always submitted my monthly unit fee in the form of two or three payments. I have never defaulted, and the resident manager never denied me access to the unit because he knew that the unit contained all my inventory that I sell to support myself and pay him his fee. (It also contains all my personal belongings, legal documents, etc.) The facility changed ownership about three months ago, and the new owner failed to notify the existing tenants in writing that the ownership had changed. My payments were suddenly refused, and they will sell all my belongings today at 1pm. This means every asset I own to support myself. I was denied access about 2 months ago, and was rendered homeless because I could not access my inventory to sell it to support myself.
My question is this: is a new owner permitted to take over a business and change terms for existing clients without adequate written or verbal notice?
As well, are they permitted to take possession of every asset I own; as they have done? Thank you very much in advance for any help you may provide - I've been doing exhaustive research in the CA Codes but have not been successful as yet in locating the precise law governing this.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Does your written agreement allow you to pay in installments?

(Oh, and looking for advice 80 minutes before the sale is not really a good thing either)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">