• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

borreman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

I took over a business in 2006 and with it its lease. The lease runs until August 31, 2009, and eventhough I tried really hard to negotiate an extension with the landlord at a lower rate, I have had to move to a different building who was offering me half the price of rent for the same sq ft. However, the condition was to move in By June 1st.

I am now facing the current management company to whom I have been paying rent with not 1 late payment, saying I am legally obligated to pay the rent until Aug 31. However, I cannot financially afford both rents (new place and old place) for 3 months!

I have tried to find a compromise given my excellent payment history, but the management company keeps on saying I am obligated. What are my options (if any)? Just to give some historic, the management company promised a pylone sign and an anchor store to all the "small" tenants in the plaza for about 4 years, and nothing came! All small businesses lost money because of this. It is not stated in the contract that it is a cause for termination, but I feel like it could be a cause enough to find a settlement.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">