• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

business name trademark issue OR

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

juliek

hi,

i am seeking help regarding my business name. for two years i've been using the name. i've got a brick and mortar and a very robust website.

yesterday i got a letter from a company in WI who apparently trademarked the name in 1988. they want to me to be licensed by them, to control my inventory, take a percentage of sales, etc.

i called the guy and had a heart-to-heart with him, however, when he heard how well my website was doing, i could "hear" the dollar signs popping in his eyes.

changing my name is going to be quite damaging in all aspects. however, i am trying to find out what rights i do have online. what or who governs trademark infringement online? i have spent hundreds of hours with my SEO, i don't want to lose my place OR to have him reap the benefits of MY hard work.

is there anything i can do to keep my name??? he dyes children's clothes and has a store. i do not manufacture anything, only have a children's store. additionally there are about seven other KNOWN businesses with the same name.

thank you for any help!!

warmly,
Julie

lwpat

If he has trademarked the name you may be out of luck. The first one in time wins. You probably made a tactical error in telling him how much business you were doing. If you want to keep your site/name you need to contact a trademark attorney fast. There is a find an attorney link on this site . Only if no one is listed you can send me a private message for a reference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">