• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying Program/Graphical Content

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheMan001

Hey,

I have a group of people who have done some work for me in creating artwork, music, and programming for a game I am developing. I would like to legally purchase their work and transfer it under ownership of my LLC. Some of them live in different states. I have a couple of questions:

1) Will I need a lawyer to write this contract, or can I do it myself with some guidelines or examples (maybe you know of some)?
2) Some live in different states, do I have to mail them the contract?
3) A notary must also sign off to make it valid, is that correct?

Thanks!

quincy

Hey,

I have a group of people who have done some work for me in creating artwork, music, and programming for a game I am developing. I would like to legally purchase their work and transfer it under ownership of my LLC. Some of them live in different states. I have a couple of questions:

1) Will I need a lawyer to write this contract, or can I do it myself with some guidelines or examples (maybe you know of some)?
2) Some live in different states, do I have to mail them the contract?
3) A notary must also sign off to make it valid, is that correct?

Thanks!
First, you may want to stick to this thread from now on for all of your other business-related questions, instead of starting a new thread each time. It makes it easier for the forum members to have everything nicely consolidated. Thanks.

The answers to your questions:

1. No, you do not necessarily need an attorney to write the contracts, although having an attorney is advised to best protect your interests and the interests of those with whom you are contracting. There are guidelines available online for drafting licenses or transfers of copyrights. You can also go to http://www.copyright.gov to read about the different types of licenses and you and each artist can determine how you want to handle the copyrights (whether all exclusive rights will be transferred or if some exclusive rights will be transferred or if there will be a limited license granted for the use of the material ...).

2. I assume you will have to mail the contracts (emailing can be adequate), unless you like to travel. :)

3. No, a notary is not needed to make a contract valid and binding.

I still recommend you sit down with an attorney in your area, TheMan001. You have a lot of questions that are best addressed by a professional in your own area who can review your needs and help you accordingly.

For others, here are links to TheMan001's other threads:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/starting-operating-business-3/where-begin-starting-llc-information-running-612544.html

https://forum.freeadvice.com/hiring-firing-wrongful-termination-5/one-time-paying-employees-612797.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">