• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

C-store 30 days notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

madya71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
Hi and thank you in advance ...I was renting a c-store from a company ..I have 2 years left in the lease ..I gave the one who represents them a 30 days notice on the phone without a writing notice ..but after a week only she told me that she wants me to sign the papers so they can transfer the licenses and said it will take 3 weeks and I need to keep the store open until they finish ..when I signed asked here when they will need the store she said tomorrow morning at 6 am ..they came and the inventory company to count what I have ..then I left after me and her signed and notarized that they owe me money but I didn't get anything til now bc they want to charge me 6 months rent as they say I didn't give them a notice ..which I did and they rushed me to leave the store ..what to do to stop them from doing that ? Thank you

FlyingRon

First you're going to have to tell us what part of your lease allows you to terminate early just by giving notice.

Now, for the other issues. First, it's hard to argue that they didn't have notice as they apperaed to have immediately acted to take possession of the store licenses and inventory. Second, they would have to show some actual loss. Six months rent when they are now operating the store themselves (or have a new lessee) seems way out of line.

Frankly, it's real easy to threaten to sue. It takes a little more effort to actually do so, and even more to prevail.

I'd keep records of all the correspondence and any receipts, etc... involved in the transfer. I'd sit down right now and write a record of your communications, what you did for them, when they took possession, did inventories so you can recall it in the event you are taken to court.

Frankly, I'd sit tight at this point and wait to see if they pursue this. If they did, you will probably want to contact an attorney.

madya71

Thank you

I gave them 30 days notice as it was in the lease to give 30 days notice ..and I was asked to sign the beverage application to transfer licenses and instead I wait for the end of the 30 days they asked to take over the next day I signed it ..they bought the inventory we signed papers for the inventory and they run the store same day I left so the store didn't close at all I didn't mind to stay till the end of the 30 days but they asked for it ..it was ok for few days ..they called asking my permission to pay some vendors from my money then I heard that they asking for 6 months rent as I didn't give them 30 days notice ...
It was not documented it was all through the phone or texts with his assistant ..They want me to go sign for the money but I won't sign unless they clarify that there is not 6 months charge ..
What should I do if they insist ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">