• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California NDA for a NYC-based company?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

experal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York.

Hi,
Are NDA-related laws specific to one state? I found a California Mutual NDA template and I am wondering if I can change the "Governing Law" part to the state of New York.

Thanks,
experal

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York.

Hi,
Are NDA-related laws specific to one state? I found a California Mutual NDA template and I am wondering if I can change the "Governing Law" part to the state of New York.

Thanks,
experal
Yes - they can be state specific.
I would suggest that you run your NDA by an attorney and not just try to wing it.

experal

Yes - they can be state specific.
I would suggest that you run your NDA by an attorney and not just try to wing it.
Thanks. Let's say I don't touch the template, can I use California as Governing Law even if my company is incorporated in Delaware and our offices are in New York?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks. Let's say I don't touch the template, can I use California as Governing Law even if my company is incorporated in Delaware and our offices are in New York?
Your attorney will be able to answer that question.

justalayman

Is your issue connected to California in any way other than you grabbed an NDA from the internet that was written for a California situation?

If you try to enforce an agreement written based on California laws in a state other than California you may find the state you are in cannot enforce some of the terms, especially if they are contrary to the laws of the state which the action is being undertaken.

And that is one reason you should run any contract you are considering by your hired attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">