• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can 12+ month $6,600 housing contract be signed electronically legally? [PA]

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ncore

PA Resident here. I apparently entered into an electronic contract February of 2014 and it cannot be fulfilled until April 2015.

What I thought I agreed to was a Fall semester only contract, but they are billing me for the Spring semester as well saying I "signed" for it.

The only problem is that the 'signature process' is a simple checkbox and submit button written in JavaScript that doesn't actually store any data OR attach a picture or process to the original terms. So in other words, there is nothing physically or digitally linking me to this contract; I cannot even go into my account and few the contract I signed for. I requested the contract that I signed, and the sheet they sent me had no indication that I agreed to it.

I am in the process of disputing whether or not I have this Spring housing agreement with the school board, but I may have to take this case to the Magisterial Courts.

Also under the PA Statute of Frauds (PA Constitution Title 13, Chapter 22 SubSection 2201) all sales of goods over $500 must be in writing. Now in the PA UETA (Electronic Transactions Act) it DOES state that an electronic record counts as "writing"; but my signature is not on it nor stored so does that mean the electronic record, considered as a piece of writing, is not complete?

Also any help regarding this case is appreciated.

OHRoadwarrior

Apparently you failed to research what you electronically agreed to. We cannot interpret a contract or agreement we have not seen. I am assuming this was for off campus housing and they have their leases set up for the school year or 12 months.

single317dad

There's really not much for you to "take to court" yet. When you move out and don't pay them for the spring semester, they will sue you. When they sue you, you can go to court and make your case that you did not sign nor agree to the contract which they will provide as evidence of your debt. They will also most likely submit their attorney's bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">