• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can gym add annual fee while under contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

browzin03

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I joined a gym last May and am still under the 1 year contract. The gym sent out an email today saying that they will be adding an annual fee. The contract does not say anything about them being able to add fees or change rates. If I am bound by the fees stated in the contract, why are they not? Is this legal?

Thanks in advance.

browzin03

Update

I filed a complaint with the county Consumer Protection department, and sent them the notice of the fee and a copy of my contract. A couple days ago the gym got a letter from the county asking for their side and any proof that they had. Last night an email was sent out that the fee is being resided for "anyone other then those that have it written in their contract"!!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">