• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I display my employer's logo on my own personal vehicle?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KabooCityZoo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I work for a company that is a franchise and live in another county from where this franchise sits. My employer gave my husband a magnet for his truck 7 years ago. This year, another franchise opened their doors in my county. They are causing problems over this truck magnet because it displays our franchise phone number and name. The vehicle in question is not owned or supported by our franchise it is owned by my husband and I who are not franchise owners. What are my rights as a private citizen to display this magnet? Can we support any franchise we choose? Also, the paint under this magnet is bleached and starts to come off when we tried to remove it from the vehicle. It would greatly reduce the look of the truck if the magnet is removed. Who should pay to have the truck painted if we are forced to remove the magnet?

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I work for a company that is a franchise and live in another county from where this franchise sits. My employer gave my husband a magnet for his truck 7 years ago. This year, another franchise opened their doors in my county. They are causing problems over this truck magnet because it displays our franchise phone number and name. The vehicle in question is not owned or supported by our franchise it is owned by my husband and I who are not franchise owners. What are my rights as a private citizen to display this magnet? Can we support any franchise we choose? Also, the paint under this magnet is bleached and starts to come off when we tried to remove it from the vehicle. It would greatly reduce the look of the truck if the magnet is removed. Who should pay to have the truck painted if we are forced to remove the magnet?
The legal battle would be between the franchise owners. It's possible that your employer is violation a franchise agreement by advertising in another territory.

There is really nothing that the new franchise holder can do to you (assuming the sign was legally given to you and was legally produced without violating any trademark or copyright).

Keep in mind that your employer can ask you to remove the sign from your husband's truck, and fire you if you don't.

xylene

If you attach a magnetic sign or decal to your vehicle, you need to remove it and wax the paint and the contact side of the magnet at least every month to reduce the risk of paint damage. Even with that damage can occur.

As it stands now - your door needs to be stripped and primed, then color matched to the body and finally clear coated to undo this paint damage.

The existing finish can't be saved.

That problem is your own responsibility as it arose from your own neglect. If it did not occur to you that the magnet would severely trap moisture against your auto finish... well it should have.

That is a seperate matter from the dispute. Personally I think it is BS and flies in the face of free speech... but Steve F makes some excellent points. Further there are myriad restrictions on commercial signage that have stood up in court, including restrictions on vehicle signage.

Lastly - at 7 years old I can't see how this magnetic sign is not starting to look at least a little tattered - which speaks to your claim that removing it would reduce the trucks appearance.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">