• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can lawsuit affect future spouses finances

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newlife5757

What is the name of your state? tn
TN

My girlfriend is a singer/songwriter that will possibly be in a lawsuit disputing the terms of a contract with a record company. We want to get married soon. If we get married now and there is a judgement against her after we marry, will that affect me or cause me to be liable for anything since the contract took place before the marriage and the suit takes place after the marriage? Thanks, Jim

divgradcurl

newlife5757 said:
What is the name of your state? tn
TN

My girlfriend is a singer/songwriter that will possibly be in a lawsuit disputing the terms of a contract with a record company. We want to get married soon. If we get married now and there is a judgement against her after we marry, will that affect me or cause me to be liable for anything since the contract took place before the marriage and the suit takes place after the marriage? Thanks, Jim
Well, your finances will be affected in the sense that your wife's wages and property could be used to satisfy the judgment, even after marriage. However, your separate property (property acquired prior to the marriage) will not be reachable to satisfy any judgment, and your wages are likely exempt as well, but you may want to check with an attorney anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">