• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can someone sue the owner of a closed business that was incorporated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Corrie Davis

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
My husband owned a service business that was incorporated and had to shut the business down recently. I worked for the company, but was not an officer of the corporation. A former customer is suing both my husband and I personally and the business. Can he sue us personally? Can he sue me?

GaAtty

GaAtty

Surely you have heard the saying, "anyone can sue you". The question is, can they win? Since you don't say what they are suing for, it's hard to say if they can successfully sue you. Of course it is possible for someone to sue an employee of a corporation and sue the corporation--it happens all the time. There are other questions involved, also, with regard to your husband. Most small businesses do not keep their corporation activities separated enough from their personal business. If this happened, and the corporation's business was intertwined with your husband's personal affairs, then it is possible that the opposing side can do what is called "pierce the corporate veil". That is, challenge the shield from liability that the corporation is supposed to provide to him. So, to answer your question, it depends on what you, husband, and corporation are being sued for and how your husband conducted the affairs of the corporation. This is not a lawsuit that you want to defend yourself. Get an attorney who does civil litigation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">