• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cheysmere

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY

Not sure if this is the right category since it was not a true business....

I had a booth for selling things in our local 'peddlers mall.' It's like a collection of individual yard sales in booths surrounded by walls - all under one roof. You must sign a contract and get a business license and pay a monthly rental fee. Unfortunately, it was not a success for me. I did not make enough money at the booth for them to automatically pay the rental fee in the month of June. I received a letter stating that my booth had been closed due to non-payment (I received the letter July 5th and the booth rental was supposed to be paid the last day of June), and that they would sell my walls to get their money back. I sent them a check they received on the 8th but they had already sold the walls and returned the check. My problem is not that they sold my walls, but that they sold all the other things I had done to my booth as well. In an effort to make it look a little nicer, I had put rugs down in my spot, painted the walls nicely, and put nice shelves up for my merchandise. When I returned to get my 'extras' that I had put up, they told me I could not have them, the booth walls had been sold 'as is'. The contract I signed specifically states that the walls are mine and must be taken with me if I vacate and cannot sell them. Again, I'm fine with the walls for rent trade, but can they demand the extras as well? They did return my unsold merchandise. I need to decide what to do next. Any suggestions? Many thanks for your time. -MelissaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">