• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car sale gone horrible, need to know options

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BroncoBill93

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Seeking advice on my options with a car sale thats gotten muddled. The original agreement was between 2 mutual friends to purchase the car, with relaxed guidelines. A monthly payment due at any point in the month, a small down payment, and an agreement to pay it off in a year based on the agreed upon payments. After verbally agreeing that the down payment would be given upon an opportunity to sell certain assets. First months payment way paid in full, the second was slightly short, now none for the 3rd going into the 4th and no sign of a down payment after the assets were sold. Things started to become strained and a verbal agreement was made that upon paying a certain amount to the buyer the car would be returned and the agreement would be voided out. Now thats also becoming muddled, what are the legal options i have available? I would prefer to be able to have the car returned and the entire ordeal be done with.

Thanks in advance.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Seeking advice on my options with a car sale thats gotten muddled. The original agreement was between 2 mutual friends to purchase the car, with relaxed guidelines. A monthly payment due at any point in the month, a small down payment, and an agreement to pay it off in a year based on the agreed upon payments. After verbally agreeing that the down payment would be given upon an opportunity to sell certain assets. First months payment way paid in full, the second was slightly short, now none for the 3rd going into the 4th and no sign of a down payment after the assets were sold. Things started to become strained and a verbal agreement was made that upon paying a certain amount to the buyer the car would be returned and the agreement would be voided out. Now thats also becoming muddled, what are the legal options i have available? I would prefer to be able to have the car returned and the entire ordeal be done with.

Thanks in advance.
verbally speaking you are verbally shafted, verbal contracts are not enforceable and if the title of the car is now in his/ her name then you have no legal right to lay claim to anything on the car regardless of how much money he or she may or may not have paid you. Legal options? I do not know of any......

BroncoBill93

verbally speaking you are verbally shafted, verbal contracts are not enforceable and if the title of the car is now in his/ her name then you have no legal right to lay claim to anything on the car regardless of how much money he or she may or may not have paid you. Legal options? I do not know of any......
My apologies, the title and registration are still in the possesion of the seller. They are to be handed over upon the final payment.

My apologies, the title and registration are still in the possesion of the seller. They are to be handed over upon the final payment.
does the seller have the keys to said car?

If all you have is a verbal agreement and that agreement has not been met then go get the car, you have a legal claim of ownership if the title and registration in the sellers name still. This reminds me of a make shift tote the note lot with the exception they would have repossessed the car from the first short payment made.

BroncoBill93

does the seller have the keys to said car?

If all you have is a verbal agreement and that agreement has not been met then go get the car, you have a legal claim of ownership if the title and registration in the sellers name still. This reminds me of a make shift tote the note lot with the exception they would have repossessed the car from the first short payment made.
The car only has 1 key (90's german luxury car, expensive keys)

The agreement was written out in the bill of sale as part of the deal

The car only has 1 key (90's german luxury car, expensive keys)

The agreement was written out in the bill of sale as part of the deal
then if they have not adhered to the agreement then you can get the car back but you generally have better contracts than that in regards to car deals. I never carry a note for someone ever.

good luck and don't get beat up or shot trying to reclaim the car.

BroncoBill93

then if they have not adhered to the agreement then you can get the car back but you generally have better contracts than that in regards to car deals. I never carry a note for someone ever.

good luck and don't get beat up or shot trying to reclaim the car.
I agree it should have been outlines much better. But since they broke any part of the agreement the deal can now be cut off legally?

swalsh411

First you will need to find out where the car is.

Second, you will either need a replacement key or a tow truck.

Third, you take the car back AND return ALL the payments he has made.

Fourth, you report the car as stolen if the person is stupid enough to take it back from you.

Fifth, you never do something like this again because they almost always don't work out. Why do you think this person couldn't get a loan for a car on their own? Because they were a poor credit risk. Do you now understand why?

Antigone*

First you will need to find out where the car is.

Second, you will either need a replacement key or a tow truck.

Third, you take the car back AND return ALL the payments he has made.

Fourth, you report the car as stolen if the person is stupid enough to take it back from you.

Fifth, you never do something like this again because they almost always don't work out. Why do you think this person couldn't get a loan for a car on their own? Because they were a poor credit risk. Do you now understand why?
Why would the payments have to be returned. Are payments returned after a repossession? :confused:

Why should the roaches who couldn't make their payments be made whole?

swalsh411

Why would the payments have to be returned. Are payments returned after a repossession? :confused:

Why should the roaches who couldn't make their payments be made whole?
What happens to payments made when there is a repo under a normal financing are all laid out in the financing contract. There is no such contract here. I would advise the OP to return the payments unless there is obvious damage to the car so he doesn't have to deal with the headache of being sued.

Antigone*

What happens to payments made when there is a repo under a normal financing are all laid out in the financing contract. There is no such contract here. I would advise the OP to return the payments unless there is obvious damage to the car so he doesn't have to deal with the headache of being sued.
I guess we have a difference of opinion here swalsh. I would not return the payments made. These people had use of this vehicle and should pay for at least that.;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">