• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Angelica77

Texas,
I paid rent 2 years ago to my apartments, and they had it posted that I paid on time, but they never cashed my check in 2 years. I don't know if they lost it or what happen. So my question is, if they would somehow find out that they never cashed it, would I still owe them, or is there some type of statue of limitations on things like this?

Antigone*

Texas,
I paid rent 2 years ago to my apartments, and they had it posted that I paid on time, but they never cashed my check in 2 years. I don't know if they lost it or what happen. So my question is, if they would somehow find out that they never cashed it, would I still owe them, or is there some type of statue of limitations on things like this?
Yes you would still owe them. Why don't you do the right thing and alert them of their possible error?

JakeB

There is a statute of limitations, but it's 4 years. As of now, you could still be made to pay the rent. The check itself is "stale" and probably wouldn't be honored by the bank.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">