• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Client Refuses to Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chloe07

I'm a freelance designer in New York. I don't have my business registered yet, but I took on a client who complained about my prices so he offered me 50% equity in his business (on email records). We went shopping together to pick up $800 worth of denim so that the factory can have a reference for denim quality. Then I proceeded to design his collection; not only did I design it but I also did the engineering work so that the factory can interpret the blue-print and
construction. When I first met him, I had 1 client and 1 job. After I launched his collection, I had acquired many assignments, I have 2 children, and several other clients. I cannot talk to him everyday and every week. It is a complete waist of time after we have discused the business meticously, repeatedly from concept to sketch, to mass production to sales and marketing. He had his 2nd temper fit & said that he was pulling the plug because I don't communicate w/ him enough. I explained that I don't speak to clients unless it's pure business facts; based on questions or answeres. My work is done, I no questions, and the factory had no questions and he said he's pulling the plug because he's mad I don't talk to him enough. He didn't even give me a chance to finish the contract, which stipulates, if he cancels, he owe's me $13,150. Do I have a case? & should I return his $800 worth of merchandise? He is threatening, saying that this could get real ugly & he wants his merchandise back.. Please advise?

Dandy Don

Does the contract mention anything about cancellation procedures must be stipulated in writing? You have a strong case but you need to discuss your options with a business law attorney who can review your contract. He may be able to act as an intermediary to negotiate a satisfactory outcome for both sides without having to go through a lawsuit in court.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">