• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Client Wants to Sue over Marketing Campaign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stormrider74

In California

I am working as a marketing consultant without a written contract for a retailer. Only a fee was established when we agreed to partner. No statement or work, set deliverables, or estimate of hours was ever established. We have now been working together for a year. The client has made payments and has never complained about work that was completed. They wished results were better, but they understood that it takes time. This last month they did not pay for services and are now threatening to sue me because they did not like the work that I completed nor the amount of hours that it took. They are threatening to sue me for all wages that were paid to me over the last year. Do they have a case - should I pre-emptively take them to small claim courts for the unpaid fees for the last month? Also they haven't terminated our partnership yet. I am located in California, the client is in NY.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">