• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting a debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

roxian

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

First time poster here, not sure which forum to post under, but here goes:

I own a mowing business and have been performing work for a property for 4 years, with the owner having a history of paying late and lately had a lot of problems. Unfortunately I let them go too long without paying. The last invoice I sent them got returned to me with a forwarding address out of town. I proceeded to look on the PVA and found that the house had been sold in April and I have been performing services at that property weekly all summer. I contacted the new owner (who happens to be an attorney) and very nicely let him know that I was the one taking care of his property all summer, in case he had been wondering who had been doing it. He said his daughter was going to be moving into the property and she had talked to the neighbors regarding the mowing and had wondered how much the fee was. He proceeded to let me know that he might not be willing to pay this bill (although I am sure he was well aware that SOMEONE was mowing it). I let him know that I felt he was obligated since he continued to let me mow all summer without contacting me to tell me to stop.

Now, I feel that the previous owner should have notified me, but he didn't. I also feel the new owners knew that the lawn wasn't mowing itself and had an obligation (especially since he admitted they had discussed this with the neighbors) to call me if they wanted the service stopped.

This isn't a HUGE amount of money here but I'm not in the business to go around doing charity work, either. I had taken a Business Law class several years ago and something sticks in my head regarding obligation. For example, if someone is in their house and watches you do the work and does not go out and tell you to stop then they have assumed liability for that work you performed. Does that ring a bell? I am looking for the terminology to use when I send the "new owner" his invoice. He is an attorney and should be fully aware of this issue but I would like him to know that I am fully aware of my standing as well.

Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">