• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company Secret

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Let's say I previously worked for a company that produced a consumable product with a highly prized recipe. I was an executive of the company; a large company. I don't have any legal agreements in place. No employment agreement, no non-compete, no nothing. Can I legally start an eBay auction for the recipe of this prized product? It's a product/recipe that everyone in the country or even the world is familiar with. Normally I would say scummy to even consider doing this but because of the way they treated me, I don't feel so bad.
You were not an executive of this hypothetical large company. Furthermore, this site is for US law only.

Just Blue

Yes I was an executive of the company and my question pertains to US Law. I'm confused by your response.
When you make a thread, as you did, the question asked is : What is the name of your U.S. State: U.S. law only. ;)

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is No. Possible. Way. that you were highly enough placed to be privy to this highly guarded company secret and not had a non-disclosure agreement in place.

Either you're lying about being an exec or you're lying about not having signed any legal agreements.

And if you're lying about both, then this is a hypothetical and we don't do hypotheticals here.

JasonKal

I guess I'm not on here enough to understand what you're saying. Yes, I did see the US Law line in the text box but I just deleted it. I thought my question most pertained to Business & Financial Law.

There really isn't anything they could do to me, is there?

Reasonable precautions were not taken to protect the information. It was available to any of the hundreds of company employees down to the $8.00/hr employee.

The information was not wrongfully acquired.

Last edited by a moderator:

JasonKal

There is No. Possible. Way. that you were highly enough placed to be privy to this highly guarded company secret and not had a non-disclosure agreement in place.

Either you're lying about being an exec or you're lying about not having signed any legal agreements.

And if you're lying about both, then this is a hypothetical and we don't do hypotheticals here.

Careful making assumptions. My family owned the company for less than one year shy of 100 years. I ended up being the VP of Operations without so much as signing an employee handbook. It is not a hypothetical. I have every formula or recipe the company has ever used. In fact, I have their entire Quality Control database going back 8 years. I have every test they ever conducted. I have everything.

Just Blue

I guess I'm not on here enough to understand what you're saying. Yes, I did see the US Law line in the text box but I just deleted it. I thought my question most pertained to Business & Financial Law.

There really isn't anything they could do to me, is there?

Reasonable precautions were not taken to protect the information. It was available to any of the hundreds of company employees down to the $8.00/hr employee.

The information was not wrongfully acquired.

/
U.S. Law Only. What is the name of your State?

You must realize there is a very GOOD reason we ask this PERTINANT question. :)

JasonKal

I know you are full of it!! There is nothing better!! :p
Yes, I sent the question to an atty; waiting for his response. I thought I would pose the question here in addition. I'm not entirely serious about going through with it but it is a valid question.

Just Blue

Yes, I sent the question to an atty; waiting for his response. I thought I would pose the question here in addition. I'm not entirely serious about going through with it but it is a valid question.
Not really. You have an attorney that know ALL facts of this case.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Okay, now we're getting somewhere. What would I be sued for? What specific law? Any idea?
I'm sure the company attorneys could come up with plenty of them. At this point, we're just guessing based on hypothetical hypotheticals.

JasonKal

I'm not doing free research for you OR this question. Hire an attorney.
I'm not asking you or anyone else to do research. What gave you that idea? I posted a question thinking if someone had the answer, it would have been interesting to hear. It's a legit question and a serious one. I would think any business attorney would be interested in the answer.

Why is it whenever I post here, which is rare, I get obvious attitude and a bunch of snippy comments. This website is called FreeAdvice.com not FreeAdviceAsLongAsYouHireMeAndPayMeOrI'llBeCondescendingAndSnippy.com. If you don't know the answer or can't offer constructive advice, you don't have to comment.

Look what you've done, now I'm being snippy!

Just Blue

I'm not asking you or anyone else to do research. What gave you that idea? I posted a question thinking if someone had the answer, it would have been interesting to hear. It's a legit question and a serious one. I would think any business attorney would be interested in the answer.

Why is it whenever I post here, which is rare, I get obvious attitude and a bunch of snippy comments. This website is called FreeAdvice.com not FreeAdviceAsLongAsYouHireMeAndPayMeOrI'llBeCondescendingAndSnippy.com. If you don't know the answer or can't offer constructive advice, you don't have to comment.

Look what you've done, now I'm being snippy!
You are asking questions and can't be bothered to even list the State. You stated you have an attorney :)rolleyes:) and expect the VOLUNTEERS to advise you based on the non-info you have provided.

JasonKal

You are asking questions and can't be bothered to even list the State. You stated you have an attorney and expect the VOLUNTEERS to advise you based on the non-info you have provided.
I don't see how the State is relevant, #1. I didn't know this site is only for people that do not have an atty, #2. I have/had zero expectations, #3. Who is "we?" Do you own the site? :)rolleyes:)

I see this site as a place where lawyers can offer free legal advice so they can learn and be engaged with a number of different legal topics. You can comment or not.

And the info I provided is certainly enough to get a basic legal opinion. No legal agreements in place between me and the company. Not now or ever. Company secret. US Law. Pertains to the entire country, not state specific. What more is there?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">