• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Construction contract-Arbitration jurisdiction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

We are a subcontractor in Fl, doing a project in FL for a General Contractor out of GA. My question is, can the GC require in our contract with them that all legal issues, including arbitration, be handled only in Atlanta, GA? Since both our company and the project are in FL, is this specific venue issue legally enforceable?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

We are a subcontractor in Fl, doing a project in FL for a General Contractor out of GA. My question is, can the GC require in our contract with them that all legal issues, including arbitration, be handled only in Atlanta, GA? Since both our company and the project are in FL, is this specific venue issue legally enforceable?
**A: what venue with respect to arbitration is expressly stated in your contract?

It specifies Atlanta, Ga, which is obviously for the convenience of the general contractor. Since we obviously don't want to travel that far should we ever have to go to arbitration, I would like to know if this is enforceable. We have not signed the contract yet.

HomeGuru

It specifies Atlanta, Ga, which is obviously for the convenience of the general contractor. Since we obviously don't want to travel that far should we ever have to go to arbitration, I would like to know if this is enforceable. We have not signed the contract yet.
**A: yes it is enforceable. Generally the venue in the contract is where the head office of the GC is located.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">