• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract documents changes..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yashdv

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I am opening a new store and renting a place managed by one of the big commercial property management group. The property manager provided me with a contract, and while signing the document I made some changes to some of the terms. I signed the contract, with initials on each of the page, and gave it back to him. The property manager that I was working with said he will get the contract signed by his management team. After a week or so, he said the contract was approved and also encashed the deposit provided with the contract. This was around 3 weeks ago. He said that the signed contract was mailed to me and gave us the keys to the property. When I received the approved contract, I just glanced through to the last page of the contract and saw their signature, and then filed it away.
Just today, I was going through the contract and noticed that the property manager had taken out couple of pages of the original contract and slipped in new ones with additional terms that we had not agreed on. Those pages have my initials missing. He did not notify me of the changes explicitly.

Is it legal for property management companies to change the contract after we sign the contract? I still have a copy of the original agreement.

I have now invested quite a bit of money on the store for furnishing, and was planning to open it in a week. What is my legal recourse here, if any?:confused:

Some Random Guy

Apparently the contract that you signed is materially different from the one they signed. You need a lawyer to review this situation since you don't have a valid contact that both parties agreed to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">