• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nyctrader101

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York although my clients company is in California.

I have a signed contract with a client. Although the service has been performed and delivered, the client has only paid approx. 1/2 of the contractually owed fees. All fees were due at or prior to closing.

The contract states "If the entire fee stated herein due COMPANY is not paid to COMPANY in full by Applicant, Closing Agent, or Escrow Agent at or prior to closing, the APPLICANT hereby authorizes the Company to execute an ACH pull directly from Applicants bank account for the full balance of fees due by completing the ‘DEBIT WRITTEN AUTHORIZATION FORM’ hereby attached as page three of this agreement. This Agreement is to act as a binding instruction to said Lender, Closing Agent, or Escrow Agent to pay the fee directly to the COMPANY without further instruction from APPLICANT at or prior to closing. If the entire fee is not paid immediately as stated, a lien will be placed on the aircraft and triple the above-stated fee will be due the COMPANY. "

The client DID NOT complete the ‘DEBIT WRITTEN AUTHORIZATION FORM’ but they did sign the agreement containing the above paragraph.

The client confirmed the deal closed on 12/2/16. On 12/15 they wired me 1/2 the owed fees as they stated, as a "good faith payment." I have 2 questions.

1 - 100% of the monies owed are or were late. Nothing was paid at or prior to closing as required by the contract. Am I due triple the total amount due or triple the original balance less the amount paid as even the partial payment was late? The 50% paid was wired into my corporate bank account.

2 - The client signed and thus agreed to allow me to execute an ACH pull directly from their bank account. They didn't complete and sign the ‘DEBIT WRITTEN AUTHORIZATION FORM.’ Do I still have the right to execute an ACH pull because they signed the agreement or does their not completing the ‘DEBIT WRITTEN AUTHORIZATION FORM’ eliminate my right to do so?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York although my clients company is in California.

I have a signed contract with a client. Although the service has been performed and delivered, the client has only paid approx. 1/2 of the contractually owed fees. All fees were due at or prior to closing.

The contract states "If the entire fee stated herein due COMPANY is not paid to COMPANY in full by Applicant, Closing Agent, or Escrow Agent at or prior to closing, the APPLICANT hereby authorizes the Company to execute an ACH pull directly from Applicants bank account for the full balance of fees due by completing the ‘DEBIT WRITTEN AUTHORIZATION FORM’ hereby attached as page three of this agreement. This Agreement is to act as a binding instruction to said Lender, Closing Agent, or Escrow Agent to pay the fee directly to the COMPANY without further instruction from APPLICANT at or prior to closing. If the entire fee is not paid immediately as stated, a lien will be placed on the aircraft and triple the above-stated fee will be due the COMPANY. "

The client DID NOT complete the ‘DEBIT WRITTEN AUTHORIZATION FORM’ but they did sign the agreement containing the above paragraph.

The client confirmed the deal closed on 12/2/16. On 12/15 they wired me 1/2 the owed fees as they stated, as a "good faith payment." I have 2 questions.

1 - 100% of the monies owed are or were late. Nothing was paid at or prior to closing as required by the contract. Am I due triple the total amount due or triple the original balance less the amount paid as even the partial payment was late? The 50% paid was wired into my corporate bank account.

2 - The client signed and thus agreed to allow me to execute an ACH pull directly from their bank account. They didn't complete and sign the ‘DEBIT WRITTEN AUTHORIZATION FORM.’ Do I still have the right to execute an ACH pull because they signed the agreement or does their not completing the ‘DEBIT WRITTEN AUTHORIZATION FORM’ eliminate my right to do so?
The contract terms quoted above are unlikely to be enforceable. I suggest you have the contract in its entirety personally reviewed by an attorney in your area.

nyctrader101

Forgetting the 3 xs penalty for late payment. The paragraph clearly states I have the right to make an ACH pull and withdraw owed fees from their account. Do you feel that will stand up in court?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Forgetting the 3 xs penalty for late payment. The paragraph clearly states I have the right to make an ACH pull and withdraw owed fees from their account. Do you feel that will stand up in court?
No...why? Because of this: "the APPLICANT hereby authorizes the Company to execute an ACH pull directly from Applicants bank account for the full balance of fees due by completing the ‘DEBIT WRITTEN AUTHORIZATION FORM’ "

Since the form WASN'T completed & attached, authorization was not given. Not only would your unauthorized withdrawal not hold up in court, it wouldn't even hold up for the bank when the charge is disputed.

quincy

Thanks but I think their signing the contract gives consent to make an ACH pull. I will consult a local lawyer.
I think consulting with a local lawyer is smart. You might want this same attorney to help you in drafting another better contract to use with your clients in the future that eliminates the (likely) unenforceable provisions of your current contract.

You can consider suing your client for the balance owing on service you performed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks but I think their signing the contract gives consent to make an ACH pull. I will consult a local lawyer.
The contract gives consent for the ACH if he has signed and returned the ‘DEBIT WRITTEN AUTHORIZATION FORM’. He did not do so, thus he did not authorize it.

As Quincy said, it's a good idea to run this by a local attorney so that he can help you correct the errors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">