• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is contract still valid after company is dissolved

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newguyjosh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

Hello,

I am currently employed in a healthcare role by a private company which is/was loosely affiliated with the local hospital. I am under contracts with the company the first being a sign on bonus and the second being for them paying on continuing education work. One contract says"the employee must remain employed by company x or a wholly-owned subsidary of the company" and the other states "the employee must be employeed by company x or by a wholly owned affiliate with company".

In the past the local hospital group that we are loosely associated with was merged with a big hospital group from out of town. I was just recently informed that at the end of the year the company I work for will be "disolved" and all assets/employees will be taken over by the local hospital (which is actually part of the bigger system).

This is potentially very problematic as there will be notable admistrative changes, possible pay changes, and the entire philosphy of the big cooperation system will likely differ from the small private company that I hired on with and signed contracts with. I am not at all familiar with legalities of the contracts and I don't plan on running off anywhere to another job unless the new situation is too different from my career plans. So based on the information provided is it possible for me to get out of the contracts without having to repay the money? I would love to get some generalized advice here although I understand you can't provide a guranteed answer online and without reviewing the entire case. But you can hopefully point me in the right direction. Furthermore, what kind of attorney should I contact locally and how much do you anticipate they would charge to simply review my case if I determine that I actually need to try and get out of the contract?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">