• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract Verbiage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dukcrzyeight

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

So back in college I got scammed by Network Direct.. It was completely my fault, paid the initial fee and went on with my life. They sent a renewal invoice for the yearly membership of $89.00. I do have a lifetime membership with them and my question is about the verbiage as I don't want to renew this membership for the rest of my life... The contract states.

I understand, if my application is accepted, the enrollment will entitle me to a permanently renewable membership in Network Direct, Inc. Renewable any year at my option by paying the annual activity amount at the prevailing rate to permanent members, but not to exceed $89.00. I understand that I will receive notice of the amount of the current activity amount prior to the time that the amount is billed to my account.

The part in bold, does that mean if I don't want to renew, I don't have to? It sure does sound that way but would like to know if I'm reading it correctly. Thanks!

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

So back in college I got scammed by Network Direct.. It was completely my fault, paid the initial fee and went on with my life. They sent a renewal invoice for the yearly membership of $89.00. I do have a lifetime membership with them and my question is about the verbiage as I don't want to renew this membership for the rest of my life... The contract states.

I understand, if my application is accepted, the enrollment will entitle me to a permanently renewable membership in Network Direct, Inc. Renewable any year at my option by paying the annual activity amount at the prevailing rate to permanent members, but not to exceed $89.00. I understand that I will receive notice of the amount of the current activity amount prior to the time that the amount is billed to my account.

The part in bold, does that mean if I don't want to renew, I don't have to? It sure does sound that way but would like to know if I'm reading it correctly. Thanks!

Yes...but how long ago was this signed? What's your end goal?

Proserpina

It was signed in 2007. I want nothing to do with the company nor have their membership.
In effect you're "reserving" your right to enjoy (I use the term loosely) the membership privileges.

You need to make sure that they haven't slipped in any other sort of clause. If it is as written though, you don't have to pay a single cent again if you don't want exercise your membership.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">