• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor hired Plumber who lied about hours, overcharged, & stole my copper pipes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ecaterina

Contractor hired Plumber who lied about hours, overcharged, & stole my copper pipes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

So I hired a contractor who hired a Plumbing company. First day, the plumbing company said it's going to cost more than they bid, taking their bid from $4500 to $6300. because "there was so much more work than they thought". Next, I was told by my contractor that "the plumbers were there all day". When I asked them what "all day" means because they weren't there at 10 nor at 2, he said they were there between 10 and 2, and they call that a day to boost their guys morale. Then my contractor informed me that my copper pipes disappeared with these plumbers, so he asked them to bring them back. A few days later, we found some pipes in a pile on my front lawn. No explanation or no alerts that they were there.

Those are the possible fraud related things they did.

As to the other unprofessional conduct (but not criminal) : The "boss" of the company also blamed and insulted his workers to me (called them old and fat).

My contractor has said he won't work with this company again, but they're busy, so they probably don't care about my contractor's small business.

Do I have any recourse?

I have witnesses to all of this and I have recorded the hours and days which they said they were there and they were not.

tranquility

My understanding of how it usually works is you contact with the contractor. I'm not sure why the contract was changed because things were harder for the plumber, but it seemed you agreed. Your main place to go is the contractor. Enforce the contract. If the plumber stole something, call the police. If the plumber cheated someone, it is the contractor and not you.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

So I hired a contractor who hired a Plumbing company. First day, the plumbing company said it's going to cost more than they bid, taking their bid from $4500 to $6300. because "there was so much more work than they thought". Next, I was told by my contractor that "the plumbers were there all day". When I asked them what "all day" means because they weren't there at 10 nor at 2, he said they were there between 10 and 2, and they call that a day to boost their guys morale. Then my contractor informed me that my copper pipes disappeared with these plumbers, so he asked them to bring them back. A few days later, we found some pipes in a pile on my front lawn. No explanation or no alerts that they were there.

Those are the possible fraud related things they did.

As to the other unprofessional conduct (but not criminal) : The "boss" of the company also blamed and insulted his workers to me (called them old and fat).

My contractor has said he won't work with this company again, but they're busy, so they probably don't care about my contractor's small business.

Do I have any recourse?

I have witnesses to all of this and I have recorded the hours and days which they said they were there and they were not.
**A: it appears that you hired a general contractor who subbed out the work to the subcontractor plumber. You deal with the general contractor who by law is responsible for his sub contractors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">