• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contracts - Works for hire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrosario

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York but contract is governed by the State of Florida.

I am a freelance writer in New York City and I work at an online news agency (website).

My agreement with the company states that I provide news content (articles, photos, videos, etc).

My contract has a clause that reads: "Works for hire: Independent Contactor agrees that all tasks, duties, results, inventions and intellectual property developed or performed pursuant to this agreement are considered 'works for hire' and that the results of said works is by virtue of this Agreement assigned to the Company and shall be the sole property of Company for all purposes, including, but not limited to, copyright, trademark, service mark, patent, and trade secret laws."

Now, my question is, does that also include having to provide ideas/proposals for new products? My agreement with them is content production, editorial, but they are also asking me to present proposals to create new products. Can I say no because that is not part of my agreement?

JETX

Can I say no because that is not part of my agreement?
We can't offer legal SERVICES on this forum, especially an opinion to a contract without reviewing that contract in full.
However, a general answer is.... Of course you can so "not a part of our agreement" to their 'suggestion'.

mrosario

Thanks JETX

I understand. its just I feel they are making me do things that are, in essence, "out of scope" of my agreement with them and I want to be certain of what to say. I sent an email to HR with the same question, but I'm certain they won't be able to help me on this matter because I am not an employee. I am looking to get advice from a lawyer in my area.

thanks!

miguel

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">