• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Data Usage Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chili2k

Background Info

I do corporate sales for a small financial services company specializing in market data. Unfortunately we find ourselves, in the short to medium term, without legal counsel and I have been forced to wrestle with a very large Data License Agreement and a very demanding client-side attorney. I have managed to take care of most of the miner issues, but there are several more serious issues still outstanding pertaining to intellectual property infringement, indemnification, liability and damages that I would like some assistance with if possible.

FIRST SECTION

INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY INFRINGEMENT and INDEMNITY: Supplier warrants that the sale, delivery, transmission, provision of access to and/or use of the Services shall not violate or infringe any trademark, patent, copyright, trade secret or other proprietary right ("Intellectual Property Right") of any third party. At its sole expense, Supplier shall defend, indemnify and save <CLIENT>, its Affiliates, their Representatives, successors and assigns harmless from any and all threats, claims, suits and proceedings and all related losses, damages, judgments, costs or expenses (including attorneys' fees) alleging that the sale, delivery, transmission and provision of access of Data and Services to, and possession or use of the Data or Services by, <CLIENT>, its Affiliates, their Representatives and successors and assigns, infringes an Intellectual Property Right of any third party.

The first part of this paragraph is our language, the client has countered by inserting the emboldened and underlined language. My feeling is that, simply put, we have said that our data is proprietary (which it is) and the client has inserted language that puts us on the hook should that turn out not be the case. Should I be accepting this language?

SECOND SECTION

<CLIENT> shall indemnify Supplier for any damages that may be suffered as a result of Data being accessed by a competitor of Supplier ("Competitor"), due to any fraud, or willful default or gross negligence on the part of <CLIENT>. In all other instances <CLIENT> shall indemnify Supplier for any direct damages that may be suffered as a result of theirsuch breach of this Agreement up to a maximum cap of 250,000 USD (two hundred and fifty thousand United States Dollars). <CLIENT'S> obligations in this section shall survive termination and natural expiry of their subscription.

The major issue here is that they are refusing to cover indirect/consequential damages and have added language stating that they will only pay for direct damages. So if, for example, they shared our data with someone who then decided they were going to start their own business using our data resulting in loss of business, the client wouldn't compensate us for that loss, even though they were at fault for sharing the data. What counter options do I have here?

THIRD SECTION

GENERAL INDEMNIFICATION: Each Party shall indemnify, defend and hold the other Party, its Affiliates, their Representatives and successors, assigns, harmless from any third party claims, suits and proceedings and all related losses, damages, judgments, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorney's fees, arising out of the willful misconduct or negligent acts or omissions of the indemnifying Party, its agents or employees.

LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: Neither party shall be liable to the other for any special, indirect or consequential damages, including, but not limited to, lost profits, even if the party allegedly liable had knowledge of the possibility of such damages, arising under this Agreement; provided, however, the foregoing provision shall not in any way apply to or limit <CLIENT'S> obligations under this Agreement entitled "General Indemnification" or <CLIENT'S> liability for its gross negligence or willful misconduct and Supplier's obligations or liability arising under the Sections of this Agreement entitled "Intellectual Property Infringement Indemnification", "Confidentiality" and "General Indemnification," or the Supplier's liability for its gross negligence or willful misconduct.

If I've read this correctly this just seems plain unreasonable. They're proposing the removal of their liability (the emboldened and underlined language) whilst retaining ours.

I am hopeful of being able to provide the client with acceptable counter proposals with language. It is a tricky situation as they are a major client of ours and they know it, in a sense they have us bent over a barrel.

Thanks in advance.

quincy

In what state in the U.S. do you reside, Chili2k, or, if not in the U.S., from what country are you posting?

Silverplum

Background Info

I do corporate sales for a small financial services company specializing in market data. Unfortunately we find ourselves, in the short to medium term, without legal counsel and I have been forced to wrestle with a very large Data License Agreement and a very demanding client-side attorney. I have managed to take care of most of the miner issues, but there are several more serious issues still outstanding pertaining to intellectual property infringement, indemnification, liability and damages that I would like some assistance with if possible.
Your company is being very, very foolish. Maybe they should hire a plumber to handle their computers, and a dog to be the accountant.

This is no slam on you: I admire your willingness to try. But it's not your arena, and your company is acting stupidly by assigning this task to a sales person.

quincy

I certainly agree with Silverplum.

But, depending on your location in the U.S., there could be low-cost attorney assistance available to you. You will want an attorney in your area to personally review all terms of the contract, to see that your interests are protected.

An internet legal forum can direct you to such help but no one here can personally evaluate the terms of your contract. That goes beyond the scope of this forum.

(My Airedale should no longer be my accountant? How will I ever tell her. . . . .? :()

Silverplum

(My Airedale should no longer be my accountant? How will I ever tell her. . . . .? :()
You can let her keep working, if you think she's doing a good job.

My Hounds just drooled on the tax returns and stuff, so I promoted them. Now they supervise me. :cool: :p

Chili2k

I agree with what you're saying, but unfortunately it is what it is. Management aren't going to pay a dime for an attorney and, contrary to the sounds they've made, have no real intent on helping me with this either. I'm on my own with this one. I'm hopeful that I can find some solid advice, particularly on the direct/consequential damages issue as that's the more serious one.

I'm posting from New York, where we're based.

quincy

I agree with what you're saying, but unfortunately it is what it is. Management aren't going to pay a dime for an attorney and, contrary to the sounds they've made, have no real intent on helping me with this either. I'm on my own with this one. I'm hopeful that I can find some solid advice, particularly on the direct/consequential damages issue as that's the more serious one.

I'm posting from New York, where we're based.
While we can read the Data License Agreement, that does you little good. No one here can advise you on what is reasonable or unreasonable for your company. Far more facts are needed, for one thing and, for another thing, that goes beyond the scope of what this forum can offer.

This is just not something this forum was designed to do. It would be unethical for the attorneys on this site to assist you and it would be practicing law without a license for those who are not attorneys on this site (the majority of the posters) and it is against the terms of service.

I recommend you sit down with an attorney in your area. There are free legal aid clinics and law schools with clinics and attorneys who may review your agreement for a small fee. You can locate free or low cost legal assistance through contact with the New York Bar Association (http://www.nysba.org) and you might want to check back to see if our New York attorney checks in with additional advice or direction.

I am really sorry. Good luck.

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

If I've read this correctly this just seems plain unreasonable. They're proposing the removal of their liability (the emboldened and underlined language) whilst retaining ours.

I am hopeful of being able to provide the client with acceptable counter proposals with language. It is a tricky situation as they are a major client of ours and they know it, in a sense they have us bent over a barrel.
The prudent course of action would be to decline the contract, since you believe it exposes you to unreasonable liability.

Providing the client with acceptable language sounds dangerously like unlawful practice of law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">