• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disputing ATT Early Termination Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrImpact

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hopefully I posted this in the right sub-forum, if not I apologize.

BACK STORY:
I work for an Animal Charity that had 5 phone lines and DSL internet service from ATT. A few months ago, we switched over 4 of our phone lines to another phone company and left 1 phone line and DSL with ATT. When we got our last bill that still showed all of the lines on them, we saw we were being charged over $1400 in Early Termination Fees. I called ATT to inquire about this. They said that we had a contract with them and the fees were because we switched service. I told the representative that we still had service with ATT and gave him the phone line that had our DSL service on it (which is still with ATT).

SIDENOTE:
Our account number (which is the main telephone number) is were all of the lines, including the one with DSL, were being billed to. Since we switched our provider for our main telephone number (including the other 3), our phone number associated with the DSL service became our new account number with ATT.

I told the rep that we were never made aware that we had to keep a certain number of lines with ATT (We didn't even know there was a contract at all). He said he would put the contracted plan on the DSL account and waive the Early Term Fees since we still had a phone line and internet service with them.

I thought everything was taken care of, but a month later we get a collection letter in the mail for these charges. So I called again to see what was going on and was referred to an account manager (I repeatedly got her voice mail, and it took over 2 weeks to speak with her).

She told me that our contract was for all 5 lines and putting the plan on the DSL service was not sufficient. Here is where the fun starts.

I told her the same thing I told the representative the first time; We were not aware that we even had a contract and we were never told we had to keep a certain number of lines. I also brought up that we still had service with them (the line with the DSL), but she didn't seem to care and told me the charges are valid and are being sustained.

I then asked her for a copy of the contract we have with them and they told me it was a verbal agreement. I asked if they had a recording of us agreeing to the contract, and they said they don't keep the recordings. I asked them if they can send me a copy of the terms and conditions of the contract and she told me they don't have a contract to send us.

Can they legally charge us these fees for a breach of a contract that they can't even produce? One that we never signed?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

EllieJo

Just an FYI...

I am assuming all the lines you are talking about are landlines rather then cell phones. Regardless of this, in my experience with ATT I have found that they generally do place an individual contract on each individual line of service. If any line of service is ported to another carrier or cancelled there is usually an ETF for each individual line regardless of any remaining lines of service. Honestly.. I am more familar with their wireless service then landline. I do know that when I had a landline through them I did have a contract of some sort but that was several years ago and I am sure things may have changed. One thing I can suggest when dealing with ATT is to make sure you always request to speak with a manager and/or request to speak with a corporate employee rather then a contract center employee if calling an 1-800 number for customer service. Always get the name of the individual you are speaking with and either their first/lastname, ID#, or other identifying information (a manager will be able to give more identifying information then a regular customer service associate, they can be looked up through their company listing by other employees by their name and/or rep id, if they are located in a larger city they may be willing to give their location but that is generally not given out due to safety regulations imposed by the company itself).

Note: I am not employed in the legal field in any way and am just forwarding some general information available to the general public.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">