• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I answer their lawyer, or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello,

so this is a continuation of my previous problem. I did translations for someone, they did not pay me.
In my contract, it says if I have to sue, they will be responsible for all collection costs.

So here is what has happened so far:
I sent over my translations and invoice
I wait and wait and wait, and i dont hear anything. invoice due date comes and goes. nothing.
so I finally emailed the person that I had been in contact with (the CFO of the company) and ask where is my payment?
she emails back saying "I am sure you are already aware that we are not going to pay for this" (how the hell am i supposed to? I cant read minds)
she says the reason is that the translation was not good quality, some dates were wrong, and a paragraph was missing.

so I emailed her a very short response: no problem, court documents will be sent to your location shortly.
then I emailed her attorney, who was always CC'ed during this job, saying: please advise your client that she is responsible for all court costs and attorney fees

then her lawyer sends this long email about how disappointed he is in our services and blah blah, and that I should not be sending nasty emails to his client (how was my email nasty?) and that how I wasted their time and they had to go to another translator to fix it, and if I sue her client, then he will make sure to spread the word that my company sucks, blah blah. and that he would like me to send his client an apology for the nasty email.

Now my question is, which one would make me look stronger
1. dont answer him, proceed to send demand letter to his client, and then sue one week later.
2. answer "I am not going to waste my time with this, we will let the courts decide" and then send demand letter, and sue.
3. answer "please send new translations so i can compare them with mine" << I think this one makes me look weak
4. other suggestions??

also, i would like to mention to them that my expert witness charges $3,000 to testify and my attorney charges $350/hr for consultation. should I?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">