• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do we have to compensate for this ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Teof

Hi. we are small translation company.
We have translated a text from foreign language to our national language.
We were working with a company, Generally we were translating the docs and they were checking it for mistypings.
This time they did not controll it for mistypings and published without checking it. In the end they have found 2 tying mistakes.
Now they ask us to compensate for the money they spent on the publish, which costs about 800$.
I want to know do we pay it or not ?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hi.
Just interested, if this happened in USA, what the law would ask us to do ?
Sorry, if you are not in the US, then our laws matter not. It would be irresponsible for us to give you advice for your situation based on US law, since it may vary greatly from the law that applies to you.

Does anyone start by asking the appropriate questions, maybe using some logic?

I've been reading through this site and I'm just not seeing very much thought put into people's responses. I realize that likely no one on this forum (that I've read thus far) is a lawyer, but I would hope that people who were knowledgeable or at least logical would attempt to respond. This isn't darts.

The first question would be... Where are you based/the company who provided the translation.

Both are important since legal action could go both ways. You deny them pay because you think you understand something in their law, they sue to get it back from you using your own law, what a nightmare. I'm not sure how extensive this translation was, but let's be reasonable, two mistakes isn't really that much. If the job payed them 800$ they were likely translating quite a bit, and often translations aren't perfect. There are so many mistakes in translations that there is a subculture that gains much enjoyment from it. Unless they were translating a 10 page childrens book, cut them some slack and use the mistakes they made for the next deal you broker with them (if you use them.)

Realistically, it is unlikely that any court will completely negate their pay over two typos. If it really makes you mad, scream in a pillow or something, because seriously, with the world being as lazy as it is today if all you got was TWO typos, you hit the jackpot.

I'd like to add, if the US government made ONLY two mistakes per 800$ it spent, we'd probably be in a lot better place XD

tranquility

Thanks for your expertise and all that, but, there are a lot of questions more important than the country. It is just that, as a policy, we choose to only deal with US law.

As to those questions, one might consider the purpose of the translation and how the errors affect that purpose along with what the original contract requested before consideration of the law to use. No matter what country, without the facts, there is no issue.

quincy

I've been reading through this site and I'm just not seeing very much thought put into people's responses. I realize that likely no one on this forum (that I've read thus far) is a lawyer, but I would hope that people who were knowledgeable or at least logical would attempt to respond. This isn't darts.
It would, indeed, be nice if knowledgeable and logical people responded to all questions. Unfortunately, this forum is open to all, which is the reason you have been allowed to post. ;)

The first question would be... Where are you based/the company who provided the translation.
The country matters and, if in the U.S., the state name matters, kapeedmaro, which is why that question was asked of Teof several times. It has still not been answered.

Providing any answer without knowing what country or what state is involved is pointless.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">