• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exclusive?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

impac

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Hello, I am an inventor; I licensed my patented products to a company that, according to our licensing agreement, has 'exclusive rights to market, etc" our products in the U.S. My Question Is: Do I, as the Inventor, ALSO have a right to market and sell my own products in the U.S., or, did I give up that right by the use of the word 'exclusive'? Thank you for any help you can provide...:)

Dave1952

The quick answer is that you do not have the right to market your invention in the US. If this is important take your contract ta lawyer.

tranquility

You'd have to take it to an attorney to be sure, but it certainly seems exclusive means they have the only rights to do the things you gave them exclusive rights to.

Mass_Shyster

• I licensed my patented products to a company
  • company has 'exclusive rights to market, etc" our products
  • Do I have a right to market and sell my own products
This really depends on the licensing agreement and the marketing agreement.

If you licensed your intermittent windshield wiper design to General Motors, and General Motors has an exclusive right to market General Motors autos with your intermittent windshield wiper design, that may or may not prohibit you from designing and selling your own brand of automobiles that also use your intermittent windshield wiper design.

You really need to ask a lawyer who has reviewed your agreements.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">