• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fees collected on services rendered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

geoffreykim

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
About a month ago, I told a local business that I was going to create a website with a shopping cart for them for $1000.00 and I actually gave them an invoice stating that I will do that. That is create a Website with functioning shopping cart for $1000.00 and $500.00 is the remaining balance due upon completion since $500.00 was paid to me.
After completing the Website with functioning shopping cart, they started telling these features that I never heard before and they said that they have to have these features on their website. I told them that I will see what I can do to make them happy. And I satisfied all of their requests since their features were actually drawn up a several pieces of papers.
After I told them all of their requests were implemented, they kept callling me up and continued to make their requests, which I kindly declined to implement or even hear about them because my obligation for them was making Website with functioning shopping cart and I DID quite more than what I was supposed to do. And now, they are callimg me a scam artist and demanded to give them refund. Using common sense, I think it;s them they owe me the balance of $500.00, not me having to refund their money.
What shoud I do?

Dandy Don

Sue in small claims court.

Does your invoice show that they paid a $500 deposit and that the other $500 is remaining due and payable?

You are going about your business procedures a little bit sloppily. Instead of presenting an invoice, you should have a contract drawn up that states everything that the customer wants and if he changes his mind along the way that is called a change order and needs to be a page added to the contract.

Talk to a business law attorney about how to draw up a business contract for your future clients so this problem can be avoided in the future.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">