• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Figurez it's yours fitness center

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ahmee204

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

Can I get out of a contract with this gym if they didn't deliver what they said they would if I joined, i.e., special services, etc.? Also, their equipment is not maintained and isn't safe. The rep didn't outline several key points in their contract during our consultation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

Can I get out of a contract with this gym if they didn't deliver what they said they would if I joined, i.e., special services, etc.? Also, their equipment is not maintained and isn't safe. The rep didn't outline several key points in their contract during our consultation.
Of course, after you read the contract, you asked questions about the key points, right?

Ahmee204

I get it...

I am one of those rare, albeit naive, people who intrensically trust people. I asked questions, yes, but obviously not the right way. When I asked the rep about cancelation policies, he said that after the 16 week comittment, I could cancel, etc., etc. He never mentioned that I had three days after signing the contract to cancel penalty free.

Also, people come to this forum for advise, sarcasm is not necessary. If someone wants to respond to assist someone, great. If someone wants to respond in order to bloat their own narcissistic tendencies, then they shouldn't respond at all. Of course, that is merely my own opinion. After all, we are all entitled to one, aren't we?
:)

Ahmee204

Veronica

Well, it states that "Member may cancel this Agreement penalty-free within 3 days after the date of this Agreement, excluding Sundays or holidays; cancellation must be in writing, postmarked by the aforementioned time, and mailed via USPS Certified Mail to the Health Club." There is a statement in the contract that says, "No other understanding or agreement exists between the Health Club anbd the member, and no representations, other than those set forth herein, have been made to induce member to enter into this Agreement." Actually, the reason I went to this club is because of a mailer I received from them offering various free services as part of a membership with them. Services such as nutritional consultations, personal trainer consultation where you receive one-on-one instructions, etc. The only free service I could have taken advantage of was one free tanning session which, trust me, I don't need.

I know the usual schtick is that bottom line, I signed the contract. I truly feel that the equipment isn't safe and the environment, after all this, is ssooo not conducive to a stress free place to work out.

VeronicaLodge

I am one of those rare, albeit naive, people who intrensically trust people. I asked questions, yes, but obviously not the right way. When I asked the rep about cancelation policies, he said that after the 16 week comittment, I could cancel, etc., etc. He never mentioned that I had three days after signing the contract to cancel penalty free.

Also, people come to this forum for advise, sarcasm is not necessary. If someone wants to respond to assist someone, great. If someone wants to respond in order to bloat their own narcissistic tendencies, then they shouldn't respond at all. Of course, that is merely my own opinion. After all, we are all entitled to one, aren't we?
I didnt way anything sarcastic. contracts rule. most contracts have clauses that dictate how terminations can happen and if there will be any penalties. some are terminable without cause and witout penalty with certain amount of notice by either party. some require cause and outline what the cause is and if there is a period to cure the cause, some outline what fee or penalty you will pay in order to terminate. some make you pay out the whole term of the contract. it depends on WHAT YOUR CONTRACT SAYS.

nothing sarcastic there.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Good luck...

Mass_Shyster

Also, people come to this forum for advise, sarcasm is not necessary.
The advice isn't necessary either. The advice and sarcasm are both free. Chances are, your friendly neighborhood attorney won't be sarcastic, but he's also as unlikely to provide free advice.

Ahmee204

Wow!

First of all, Veronica & Steve, my comments were not directed toward you. I appreciate any and all advice, when given in good spirit. I just don't believe in people who try to make other people feel dumb or less than they perceive themselves to be. It just isn't right.

And, Steve, as for any local attorneys, I actually have three personal friends who are attorneys. I'm just not the kind of person who intrudes on friendships calling in favors.

Okay. I'm done with defending myself. By the way, I was able to resolve the issue on my own. Thank you however, for your attempts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">