• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired client

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tranquility

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

In honor of the the one who will not be helped, I chose this forum for something that happened today. It is funsucker time for all.

I fired a client today. For a number of reasons, I called the client and told them that we were not going to be a good fit and they should find assistance elsewhere. I prepared and sent a disengagement letter as well.

Client disagrees. Call after call after call after call after call with each one being answered appropriately and to refer to the letter if there are any other questions. Because some of the demands (like all the specific reasons why we disengaged) are not in the letter, nor will we go into them, the former client will not be happy when the letter is received. At this point all that is happening is that the secretary is logging in the call and subject and, if there is some insistence demanding more, the former client is transferred to me where I restate our position and then hang up. Obviously, soon, we will just hang up and would be there now but we have some duties that need to be ethically completed before we can safely ignore the client.

Now, part of the reason for the disengagement is due to similar behavior in the past. Demanding clients are fine, but the demands must be within reason. Now, maybe, the FC will have a good night's sleep and come to reason. However, my gut is telling me that's not going to happen. And, except for those taquitos at a roadside drive in those many years ago, my gut has been pretty accurate. What do I do?

It's not really harassment as we are not being threatened with violence and/or the behavior is not causing any emotional distress. It is just repeated and annoying. Repeated and annoying at a time where our nerves are rather short from the pressure of this time of year. What would you do if things continue this way for more than another day or two?

LdiJ

In honor of the the one who will not be helped, I chose this forum for something that happened today. It is funsucker time for all.

I fired a client today. For a number of reasons, I called the client and told them that we were not going to be a good fit and they should find assistance elsewhere. I prepared and sent a disengagement letter as well.

Client disagrees. Call after call after call after call after call with each one being answered appropriately and to refer to the letter if there are any other questions. Because some of the demands (like all the specific reasons why we disengaged) are not in the letter, nor will we go into them, the former client will not be happy when the letter is received. At this point all that is happening is that the secretary is logging in the call and subject and, if there is some insistence demanding more, the former client is transferred to me where I restate our position and then hang up. Obviously, soon, we will just hang up and would be there now but we have some duties that need to be ethically completed before we can safely ignore the client.

Now, part of the reason for the disengagement is due to similar behavior in the past. Demanding clients are fine, but the demands must be within reason. Now, maybe, the FC will have a good night's sleep and come to reason. However, my gut is telling me that's not going to happen. And, except for those taquitos at a roadside drive in those many years ago, my gut has been pretty accurate. What do I do?

It's not really harassment as we are not being threatened with violence and/or the behavior is not causing any emotional distress. It is just repeated and annoying. Repeated and annoying at a time where our nerves are rather short from the pressure of this time of year. What would you do if things continue this way for more than another day or two?
Well, I have been known to instruct the support staff to simply say "I am sorry but there is nothing more we can tell you" and then have them quietly hang up.

quincy

I fired a client today. For a number of reasons, I called the client and told them that we were not going to be a good fit and they should find assistance elsewhere. . . . .What do I do?

For one final time, I would reiterate to the client the message that you were not going to be a good fit and that the client should find assistance elsewhere - and then provide the client with the following link:
https://forum.freeadvice.com.

The members there seem to handle "annoying" pretty well. ;)

Last edited:

tranquility

I understand what you're saying, but we are forgiving our bill for any work done already. Sometimes you just want a person gone and not another argument. Since we would not sue for fees in any event, why prolong the fiction. Besides, we have officially disengaged the client. There is no contractual relationship any longer.

HomeGuru

I understand what you're saying, but we are forgiving our bill for any work done already. Sometimes you just want a person gone and not another argument. Since we would not sue for fees in any event, why prolong the fiction. Besides, we have officially disengaged the client. There is no contractual relationship any longer.
**A: don't you mean prolong the friction?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">