• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting out of verbal agreement to work too cheaply

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iditarod1928

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

Hi everyone, I have a question about verbal agreements. My significant other is an interpreter who sometimes does translation work for a "friend." It's been a long time since he's worked on these translation contracts with her because he's had a job the last ten years that forbids it. now that he is self-employed again, he's getting back into it. Ok, so ten years ago he used to work with her in all aspects of these projects, including project management, and she would simply pay him half of the net income. Now she only wants to hire him as a translator, and that's fine, except: She told him she will pay him $20 an hour to do this translation work, including proofreading and corrections, and he said: "yeah, ok." There is no written contract, nobody witnessed this conversation, and there are no documents that could prove this conversation took place. However, she did write him a check which he accepted. He did not even He did not even give her any invoice of any kind for that.

They are just 2 weeks into this contract, and she has only paid him once to date.

Ok, after he brought home his first check, I started researching what he should get getting paid for this work, and it's: $0.12 to $0.20 cents per word. Professional translators bill by the word in the U.S. At 500 words per hour (proofread and corrected), he would be gettting 60 dollars an hour at the very lowest acceptable rate of $0.12 per word. He can and does do that many words per hour easily.

After he brought home his first check, I started researching what he should get getting paid for this work, and it's: $0.12 to $0.20 cents per word. Professional translators bill by the word in the U.S. At 500 words per hour (proofread and corrected), he would be getting 60 dollars an hour at the very lowest acceptable rate of $0.12 per word. He can and does translate that many words per hour easily. So he is being paid one third of what he should be getting, even at the very lowest rate.

I'd rather not discuss how dumb he was for agreeing to this; we've already had that conversation. My question to you all is: does he really have to work for this person for three months at $20 per hour, just because he said "yeah, ok" to this "friend" in a room all by themselves with no one else around?

We would both really like to get him out of this deal now. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Hi everyone, I have a question about verbal agreements. My significant other is an interpreter who sometimes does translation work for a "friend." It's been a long time since he's worked on these translation contracts with her because he's had a job the last ten years that forbids it. now that he is self-employed again, he's getting back into it. Ok, so ten years ago he used to work with her in all aspects of these projects, including project management, and she would simply pay him half of the net income. Now she only wants to hire him as a translator, and that's fine, except: She told him she will pay him $20 an hour to do this translation work, including proofreading and corrections, and he said: "yeah, ok." There is no written contract, nobody witnessed this conversation, and there are no documents that could prove this conversation took place. However, she did write him a check which he accepted. He did not even He did not even give her any invoice of any kind for that.

They are just 2 weeks into this contract, and she has only paid him once to date.

Ok, after he brought home his first check, I started researching what he should get getting paid for this work, and it's: $0.12 to $0.20 cents per word. Professional translators bill by the word in the U.S. At 500 words per hour (proofread and corrected), he would be gettting 60 dollars an hour at the very lowest acceptable rate of $0.12 per word. He can and does do that many words per hour easily.

After he brought home his first check, I started researching what he should get getting paid for this work, and it's: $0.12 to $0.20 cents per word. Professional translators bill by the word in the U.S. At 500 words per hour (proofread and corrected), he would be getting 60 dollars an hour at the very lowest acceptable rate of $0.12 per word. He can and does translate that many words per hour easily. So he is being paid one third of what he should be getting, even at the very lowest rate.

I'd rather not discuss how dumb he was for agreeing to this; we've already had that conversation. My question to you all is: does he really have to work for this person for three months at $20 per hour, just because he said "yeah, ok" to this "friend" in a room all by themselves with no one else around?

We would both really like to get him out of this deal now. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!
No, he doesn't have to continue working. Slavery was abolished long ago. But, the work he does do needs to be at the rate he agreed to unless he can negotiate a new deal.

On a side note. Love your ethics :rolleyes:

swalsh411

There is nothing unethical at all about this. He's choosing to no longer work for this person. There is no contact binding him to do so.

sandyclaus

Your SO negotiated the deal that worked for him. The fact that you think he should be making more is irrelevant. He agreed to this lower rate.

If he thinks he should be making more, he should have done his research before agreeing to his current rate. He can still try to renegotiate now if he chooses, but the person he is working for can always say no. Last time I checked, $20/hour is still better than zero.

iditarod1928

Thank you zigner (er, mostly), and swalsh411!
Sandycalus, thank you for the one sentence that was useful:

He can still try to renegotiate now if he chooses, but the person he is working for can always say no.
Yes, I do know that the person can always say no.

I was asking about whether or not he can get out of deal, that is all.
So my question is answered. Thank you everyone!

justalayman

If there was a contract for a fixed term of 3 months and it is enforceable, then your friend is bound to perform as the contract was agreed to. If there is no contract, then your friend can refuse to do another word of translation.

If the other party accepted contracts based on "your friend" working for $20/hour and now has to pay more, (again, if there is a contract and it is otherwise enforceable), "your friend" may be liable for the costs the other party incurs replacing your friend.

and your $60-$100/hour

while I may not understand exactly what "your friend" is doing but anything I found to the occupation of translating documents didn't come anywhere close to that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">