• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got Scammed into a " Partnership", and Now Im Out $2,500, Is There Anything I Can Do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legalhelp1989

Got Scammed into a " Partnership", and Now Im Out $2,500, Is There Anything I Can Do?

Hello, this is a long story so i'll try my best to make it as coherent as possible.

I was introduced to a photographer who needed someone to film a sweet 16 with him. (I do video) So I did the event, he paid me, all was well.

Then he told me that he had a bunch of gigs coming up that I could do video for him and make tons of money. (of course) So at this point we weren't in a partnership, it was more of a freelance, independent contractor thing. However, each time a gig would come up he'd text or call me the day before and tell me we weren't doing it for some reason or another.

Me being gullible I decided I should quit my day retail job and just work with him and make tons more money. So since I wasn't doing gigs with him and I was in a bit of a financial hole.

A few months went by, and at the beginning of January of this year I was contacted by him, telling me that I should go into a partnership with him. (he had his own photo company that he wanted someone to do photo with) He told me he already had a few gigs lined up and that he wanted to help me and help me make money, and that I would make more money by being a partner with him instead of freelanceing with him. basically I would give him $2,500 for a 30% share of the money from all the gigs we made.

Now of course I did not have $2,500, so he suggested I get a $2,500 credit card from Wal-mart and put $2,500 worth of equipment on the credit card under my name in order to "pay him"

I felt uneasy about the partnership and the situation, but I was feeling desperate and agreed to it.

Now I remind you he told me he had 4 gigs lined up before I agreed to the partnership. Afterwards, I never heard about 2 of them again, and the other 2, he pulled the same crap with. Ethier he was fealing sick the day we went to pick up a security deposit, or the people kept cancelling appointments, etc.

So the the grand jewell of this crappy situation is I signed a "contract" with him about this partnership. It was basically a contract template we both signed and we put language saying if one person wants out of the partnership they can just leave, no problems, but does that language in the contract screw me over?

So my question is this? What options do I have? Can I sue and get my money back somehow? Can I sue for loss of income? Or is there nothing I can do, and I simply chalk this up as an expensive learning experience?

Silverplum

US law only.

Hello, this is a long story so i'll try my best to make it as coherent as possible.

I was introduced to a photographer who needed someone to film a sweet 16 with him. (I do video) So I did the event, he paid me, all was well.

Then he told me that he had a bunch of gigs coming up that I could do video for him and make tons of money. (of course) So at this point we weren't in a partnership, it was more of a freelance, independent contractor thing. However, each time a gig would come up he'd text or call me the day before and tell me we weren't doing it for some reason or another.

Me being gullible I decided I should quit my day retail job and just work with him and make tons more money. So since I wasn't doing gigs with him and I was in a bit of a financial hole.

A few months went by, and at the beginning of January of this year I was contacted by him, telling me that I should go into a partnership with him. (he had his own photo company that he wanted someone to do photo with) He told me he already had a few gigs lined up and that he wanted to help me and help me make money, and that I would make more money by being a partner with him instead of freelanceing with him. basically I would give him $2,500 for a 30% share of the money from all the gigs we made.

Now of course I did not have $2,500, so he suggested I get a $2,500 credit card from Wal-mart and put $2,500 worth of equipment on the credit card under my name in order to "pay him"

I felt uneasy about the partnership and the situation, but I was feeling desperate and agreed to it.

Now I remind you he told me he had 4 gigs lined up before I agreed to the partnership. Afterwards, I never heard about 2 of them again, and the other 2, he pulled the same crap with. Ethier he was fealing sick the day we went to pick up a security deposit, or the people kept cancelling appointments, etc.

So the the grand jewell of this crappy situation is I signed a "contract" with him about this partnership. It was basically a contract template we both signed and we put language saying if one person wants out of the partnership they can just leave, no problems, but does that language in the contract screw me over?

So my question is this? What options do I have? Can I sue and get my money back somehow? Can I sue for loss of income? Or is there nothing I can do, and I simply chalk this up as an expensive learning experience?

legalhelp1989

"We" basicaly got the stuff with the intention of him selling it for money. Even if he still has it all, its not going to be near the value of what I paid for it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
"We" basicaly got the stuff with the intention of him selling it for money. Even if he still has it all, its not going to be near the value of what I paid for it.
I would suggest that you examine your written partnership agreement carefully to find your remedies.

ETA: I can't wait... Are you REALLY going to tell us that you quit your paying job to work for this guy with no assurances at all? Wow

Antigone*

This guy already proved to be shakey and then you went ahead and believed him anyway?:eek:

I've got this bridge I'm selling...:cool:

legalhelp1989

Yes, I know I went ahead with it anyway. I was desperate, gullible and digging myself into a whole.

I'll take a look at the contract and see what I can do, but what should I look for? What remedies or Inconsistencies should I look for to help me get out of this?

Also what do you suggest in terms of legal avenue? could i go to small claims court?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, I know I went ahead with it anyway. I was desperate, gullible and digging myself into a whole.

I'll take a look at the contract and see what I can do, but what should I look for? What remedies or Inconsistencies should I look for to help me get out of this?

Also what do you suggest in terms of legal avenue? could i go to small claims court?
Do you really have a contract?

As for suing - that would depend on whether or not an agreement was breached.

legalhelp1989

I'm gonna talk to the guy tomorrow and basically say I wan't out of the partnership and for him to pay me back the money I "Invested". If he doesn't want to do that that then i'll say i'll take the matter to the "next level" and involve legal matters.

Does that sound like a good idea? Still not sure how to go about with legal matters, maybe small claims court?

Antigone*

I'm gonna talk to the guy tomorrow and basically say I wan't out of the partnership and for him to pay me back the money I "Invested". If he doesn't want to do that that then i'll say i'll take the matter to the "next level" and involve legal matters.

Does that sound like a good idea? Still not sure how to go about with legal matters, maybe small claims court?
If the partnership has taken a loss or still has the inventory, what makes you think you are entitled to the money back? In fact, if the partnership has incurred any debts that have not yet been paid, you may owe the partnership or its creditors money.

legalhelp1989

There was basically language in the contract where if one of us wants to back out of the agreement we can do so without penality

So do u think I should just bow out, go our seperate ways, and be glad i didn't lose more money?

TigerD

Forget about getting your money back. It isn't going to happen.

You just paid $2,500 for a lesson. Milk every bit of experience you can from this and don't do it again.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">