• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hand-written changes are not initialed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lathompson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
The landlord of my building has written a contract for my lease of his office space. At his suggestion, I drew lines through sentences and statements I didn't like and wrote in my changes by hand. I then initialed them and signed both copies of the contract. I gave it to him to initial and sign.

He spent 3 weeks with the contract and sent my copy back signed, but did not initial 5 of the 6 changes I had made. Now, some problems have come up as he has kicked the other two tenants out and has given me warning that he is looking for a buyer (happened the day after I got my signed contract back). He is suggesting that I will most likely be taking on greater expense in utilities since the other two tenants have left. I occupy 10% of the building and all utilities have been split between tenants.

Now I'm wondering if I want to do business with the guy. I don't need new expenses! Is the contract enforceable by him to keep me here, or does his lack of initialing the handwritten changes I made, allow me to void the contract?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">