• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I get paid on a stop payment check?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilmonster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California:

I sell restaurant equipment and supplies, I had a customer purchase 5 ea. yogurt machines at about $13,900. These are special order items and cannot be refunded. When the contract was signed it was for air-cooled units under the 208-203v/60/1 electric. The customer later told me they wanted water-cooled units, I was able to change this with the manufacturer but the contract was never updated. I ordered the water-cooled units 208-230v/60/1 unit. The customer paid me the balance in full with a check on March 3, 2009. I deposited the Check March 4, 2009. They received the 5 units on March 5th, 2009 but said the electrical was wrong, they wanted three-phase (208-230v/60/3 instead). The electrical cannot be re-wired for three-phase, and the units are not refundable per the manufacture. The units were delivered directly to the customer and are in their posession but they have stopped payment on the check and now I'm out close to $70k. They stopped payment on all checks written to me including services outside of the units, plans that were drawn and other equipment they received. What can I do to collect?

I have worked with the customer for solutions they can re-wire the electrical to be compatible with the units they received, I can sell the units for them on consignment and pay them back if/when the units sell. They want me to get them brand new units and take back the old ones.

justalayman

so, sue them. Obviously the lack of updating the contract could cause you a problem but hopefully you have some written correspondence with them stating what the problem is.

So, is there some reason they cannot use the single phase units?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">