• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I pay for a lawsuit defense when all assets are frozen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KV Owl

Hello,

I have been fighting a lawsuit for two years. When this lawsuit started, I had about $2M in net worth. About $1.5M is tied up in two properties in California. The rest was cash. The plaintiff has been granted an injunction on those two properties such that I cannot sell them until the court decides who they belong to. I can still use them. He is suing me for about $7M (yes, more than I have ever had) because he wants to blame his dishonest tax behavior on me (I was his CPA/CFO). Through many unfortunate events, I have now burned through all of the money that is not frozen by the courts.

Which means that I cannot pay a lawyer to defend against this lawsuit because the lawsuit itself has frozen everything I have left.

How can I possibly defend against this ridiculous lawsuit when the only money I have to do so is itself frozen by the lawsuit? I must pay lawyers to help defend in this case, it is very complex. But if I cannot pay the lawyers, how can I avoid a default losing judgement? Can I file for bankruptcy to release some of the assets to defend against the lawsuit? Can my lawyer place a lien on the properties such that he will be paid even if we were to somehow lose the lawsuit? Can I find a creditor who would loan me money to defend?

The primary lawsuit is filed in Texas (where the business-in-question was conducted, and where the man suing me lives), but there is also a lawsuit filed in California.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer. I am particularly interested in any similar cases that you know of. I would love to read up on how others have solved this problem.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Have you claimed this with your professional liability insurance company?

TigerD

Seriously? $2 mil in assets and you claim you can't afford an attorney?

A smart person would spend $500k to save $1.5 mil.

DC

LdiJ

Seriously? $2 mil in assets and you claim you can't afford an attorney?

A smart person would spend $500k to save $1.5 mil.

DC
He is claiming that his assets have been frozen by the court, therefore he cannot tap them to pay for an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">