• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to exit a retail lease? 3 questions.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I have 6 months 10 days left of a 60 month lease, I'd like to leave in as little as 2 months. so... 5ish months short.

I know I have the option to cut in the middle of the night, move, hire an attorney and try not to pay it, and deal with breach of contract. (with no locked collateral I doubt they would fight it) BUT!! I don't want to do that. I want to have a moving sale, I want to put up banners, I want to keep the integrity of my company, I just want to leave early, gracefully to a new location.

Question 1. Can a deal be made? I'd love to broker a deal, % of remaining rent.. etc, whatever, but I'm not sure where to begin with my leasing company. There's a lot of unleased space, so I don't think a sublease is possible. Which leads me to question 2...

Question 2.Can they legally lock me out of my store if I'm paid up current through rent? **Edit, yes they can (read it in the lease)**

Question 3. If they can lock me out, (even if i'm paid) How can I leave early (safely) and pay the empty space lease out month to month? If I let my leasing agent know I'm looking for a deal they will be suspicious of a cut and run. If I decide to suck it up and leave anyway, and PAY THE REST OF THE LEASE MONTH TO MONTH, is there a way for me to carry it out gracefully without them locking my doors early before my stuffs out for fear of me running in the night before I close?

I don't think they will take me at my word when I tell them "we're moving, but.. we'll keep paying you on the first of the month for the next 3-6 months if we have to."

At this point, I'm scared to talk to my landlord for fear they will lock us out at the first sign we're moving and demand the last 7 months rent.

any help is GREATLY appreciated

Last edited:

lasvegassue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I have 6 months 10 days left of a 60 month lease, I'd like to leave in as little as 2 months. so... 5ish months short.

I know I have the option to cut in the middle of the night, move, hire an attorney and try not to pay it, and deal with breach of contract. (with no locked collateral I doubt they would fight it) BUT!! I don't want to do that. I want to have a moving sale, I want to put up banners, I want to keep the integrity of my company, I just want to leave early, gracefully to a new location.

Question 1. Can a deal be made? I'd love to broker a deal, % of remaining rent.. etc, whatever, but I'm not sure where to begin with my leasing company. There's a lot of unleased space, so I don't think a sublease is possible. Which leads me to question 2...

Question 2. Can they legally lock me out of my store if I'm paid up current through rent?

Question 3. If they can lock me out, (even if i'm paid) How can I leave early (safely) and pay the empty space lease out month to month? If I let my leasing agent know I'm looking for a deal they will be suspicious of a cut and run. If I decide to suck it up and leave anyway, and PAY THE REST OF THE LEASE MONTH TO MONTH, is there a way for me to carry it out gracefully without them locking my doors early before my stuffs out for fear of me running in the night before I close?

I don't think they will take me at my word when I tell them "we're moving, but.. we'll keep paying you on the first of the month for the next 3-6 months if we have to."

At this point, I'm scared to talk to my landlord for fear they will lock us out at the first sign we're moving and demand the last 7 months rent.

any help is GREATLY appreciated
What does your contract state?

It's a standard lease, they don't have to let me out, and they can confiscate everything if we try to leave early, weather we intend to pay the lease out or not.

I guess I'm just wondering what the best way to negotiate with them is?

Problem solved, they were totally cool about it, we are just going to write up an additional agreement that they know I'm leaving a little early and still intend to pay out the lease.

:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">