+ Reply to Thread
    Ktk108 is offline Junior Member

How long can a doctor wait to bill me?

What is the name of your state?CA

I just received a bill from a medical clinic a year after the date of service. My health ins. processed the bill one month after the date of service. (They didn't pay anything because my out of pocket max wasn't met). Had I received the bill even a few months after they did I would have been able to have my auto ins. pay for it, but because of the year delay that is no longer an option. (Not to mention being able to write it off my taxes) I guess the question I have is how long can a company legally wait to send you a bill?

Thank you
    I AM ALWAYS LIABLE is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktk108
    What is the name of your state?CA

I just received a bill from a medical clinic a year after the date of service. My health ins. processed the bill one month after the date of service. (They didn't pay anything because my out of pocket max wasn't met). Had I received the bill even a few months after they did I would have been able to have my auto ins. pay for it, but because of the year delay that is no longer an option. (Not to mention being able to write it off my taxes) I guess the question I have is how long can a company legally wait to send you a bill?

Thank you

My response:

On a written debt, up to four years. However, talk to your attorney about the defense called "Laches" (laaa cheese). Although the medical provider has up to four years, they don't have the right to "sit on their rights" either when billing can be done within a "reasonable amount of time". However, in that year, you had insurance that would have covered you but for their delay. That means your financial position had changed, thus placing you at a financial disadvantage.

If it's going into Small Claims court, you should use that defense.

IAAL