• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I received legal notice that i have violated the "junk fax act"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fba

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am looking for someone that can help point me in the right direction.

I have just received legal notice that I have violated a "junk fax act". They are demanding $500 for they're time, and legal fees, and a $50 reward to the person who "turned me in". This person turned me in by sending the fax to them, for no fee, and a reward of $50, if they get the $500 they're asking me for.

I dont know who would specialize in these matters. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tranquility

There used to be a federal law on the books regarding junk facts. About a decade ago I prepared a semi-official looking letter we would fax back to whoever was spamming us. Unless the law has changed, there are civil penalties a private party could enforce in court.

However, you don't see or hear of it even though most any business gets a few faxes from people with no business relationship every day. I'd look up the statute and then do a google search on the specific name. See if there are any cases out there on the matter. The statute may have been so affected by the silly thing called the first amendment that prosecution really is not possible absent repeated faxes after being notified they are unwanted.

If your research doesn't give you a good idea where you stand, most any attorney (unless you really are a spammer-type sending out many, many faxes) could give you an opinion in an hour or two of his time. If you are actually a person from my "HR department" who is offering a "company benefit" to go to Hawaii for $20 or something, I'd spend some time looking for a litigator with some experience as this could end up costing you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">