• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I signed a modeling contract and dont know what to do now.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dhall94

I live in Florida. I am 20, and have been modeling for about 3 years. I recently was offered to sign with a modeling agency out in Los Angeles, CA. I took the offer, then looked over and signed the contract. The agency is a nude modeling agency, and recently I realized that I am not comfortable with doing this. They have already paid for my plane ticket, which is for tomorrow, and told me that they will have many cancellation fees along with it. After I told them almost a week ago that I could no longer come, they emailed me back and told me that they will be expecting a check in the mail for $2,000 for the plane ticket, as well as all cancellation fees by Sept. 10, and if they don't receive it, they will file a lawsuit against me. They went on to say that this has happened a lot, and they have never lost a case. I definitely do NOT have $2,000, and found out that simply going to a lawyer for advice would cost me about $150, if not more. I do know, though, that the contract says nothing of me paying or owing them any money, for any reason. It also doesn't say anything about my plane ticket, and I was never aware of any cancellation fees. I don't know what to do and do not want to get sued. I understand this is my own fault, but if there is anything I can do, please help me! Thank you.

tranquility

If there was a contract, the other party has the right to the benefit of the bargain. I find it unlikely you had a contract as you would know the amount you were to be paid. But, I would need to see to be sure.

If this is merely a misrepresentation on your part, they have the right to damages. That is, how they were hurt by you making a promise and breaching it. At the least, I would think you would owe for the cost of the ticket if it is not refundable.

But, both are speculative. The whole set of facts would need to be known to see what results are possible or probable. It is likely they have some rights, just as it is possible they don't. Out of curiosity, while you say nude modeling, is it possible the photographs to be taken might include sex? I don't ask out of prurient interest, but for possible implication of the Mann Act.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">