• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Independent Contractor Compensation/Broken Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johngault

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NM

Hello All,
This could be considered an employment issue, but it is related to a contract, so I'll post here. Sorry if it's in the wrong spot.....

Lengthy, but I’ll attempt to articulate as clearly as possible. Here goes.....

I signed a 12 month contract with “Company A” in support of their contract with “Company B.” At the time of my contract’s ratification with Company A, Company A did not have a binding contract in place with Company B, which would have enabled them to fully satisfy the terms dictated by the contract I signed.

This fact was known by Company A, but was not disclosed to me (orally or in writing) prior to the issuance/acceptance of my contract. Indeed, were it disclosed, I would not have signed with Company A, a fact which was made clear to Company A managers during the contract negotiation process (I did not want to sign a contract for less than 12 months in duration).

Even though Company A anticipated that its contract with Company B was going to be extended (which would enable them to meet the terms of our contract), Company A’s agreement with Company B reached termination without renewal.

Four points of contention as I see them:

1) I believe Company A omitted the disclosure regarding the length of its existing agreement with Company B because they desperately needed someone to fill the position to which I am assigned, and they knew that I would not sign for any period less than 12 months;

2) By accepting the contract with Company A, which was done so without knowing all of the facts regarding its relationship with Company B, I bypassed other potential job opportunities;

3) Company A gambled (with my future) that an extension between them and Company B would be reached. They lost;

4) There is nothing in my contract that indicates that my compensation/opportunity to work is contingent upon Company A’s relationship with Company B remaining viable throughout the specified term. In other words, if Company A was aware that their agreement with Company B lapsed in “Month X”, and without including a contingency clause of some sort in their contract with me, my contract should have only been issued through “Month X”, a period during which Company A could knowingly honor its portion of the agreement.

My question is this: Is Company A obligated to compansate me (or at least provide me with the opportunity to work on other company projects/contracts) in spite of the severance of its relationship with Company B? Do I have a valid claim for compensation?

If this is the case, and they refuse either course of action, what steps would I take to pursue legal recourse?

Any advice offered is appreciated.

JG

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">