• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Independent contractor wants to quit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mizirma

What is the name of your state? Oregon

My husband is an "independent contractor" with a company that sells their product at trade shows (i.e. Home and Garden Shows, etc.). He has not been making much money
with this as he has to pay his own expenses such as gas, motels, food, and vehicle maintenance. The last show he made all of $200 for 5 days work as opposed to $2000 last year for the same show. He told them he can't afford to work for them at this rate. They scheduled him for a show in Seattle and when he tried to bow out of it they threatened to make him pay for the cost of their booth and sue him for the money he already owes them from the previous months. They told him they would pay for his motel when he goes up there putting him in further debt to them. I don't know what he signed or didn't sign with them but I don't understand how they can hold him liable for their costs when they can just as well get somebody else to do the demos. Help!:eek:

fairisfair

well, looks like we are in the same boat. We don't know what he did or didn't sign either. And without that information it is impossible to give an opinion.

mizirma

re:

Ok,
I asked him if he signed any contracts and he said that he signed nothing this is all verbal.
They call him and ask if he can do the show or send him the info for the show. So he agreed to do the show but them he wanted out because he didn't make enough money at the last show (last weekend) to afford to do the show (next weekend). Based on this can they charge him their cost for the booth ($1000 or $1500) if he backs out?

fairisfair

Ok,
I asked him if he signed any contracts and he said that he signed nothing this is all verbal.
They call him and ask if he can do the show or send him the info for the show. So he agreed to do the show but them he wanted out because he didn't make enough money at the last show (last weekend) to afford to do the show (next weekend). Based on this can they charge him their cost for the booth ($1000 or $1500) if he backs out?
Not unless he signed something agreeing to the cost of the booth being his responsibility. He needs to carefully review every document that he signed, including any paperwork with and on the employment application. Of course, they can try to sue him, but without documentation. . . . . .

mizirma

re

He signed nothing stating he would pay for their end if he didn't show up and there was also no employment application as this was supposed to be an "independent contractor"
Job. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">