• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance $$ from damaged consigned goods

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

art_goddess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I put some clothing (new handmade) into a local store on consignment. The store caught fire and all my goods were damaged. I was told it would all be covered by their insurance. Then they said they had a check for me covering everything I had in the store (plus what had sold before the fire). Assuming this means I'd get paid as if everything had been sold, we're talking around $500.

However, I cannot get a hold of the owner. She does not return my calls, emails, letters. I've asked her to mail the check multiple times. No response. The store is closed now. It's been a month since she said she had money for me... what should I do next?

How can I find her home contact info? Can I take her to court even though this was a consignment deal?

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Did she happen to mention to you the name of the insurance company that would be handling this matter? Probably not, and I wonder if she was even telling the truth about that. Since she hasn't made any effort to contact you I would assume she was lying and is trying to get out of this obligation.

You do NOT need to contact her at home, but her business information should be listed on the California Secretary of State's website in their business category. Look for the name of the registered agent for her business and that is the person you will contact in the process of taking her to small claims court.

Congratulations to you for standing up for yourself so you will get what you rightfully deserve!

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

art_goddess

No I don't know the company... but she did make a point of calling to tell me I was covered, then called again to say she had my check. I do believe her about the insurance, but if she did get money and keeps it isn't that fraud? There was no loss to her, the loss was all mine.

So, even though consignment leaves everything to my own risk... I have a case? I don't want to sue her, but I do want to know what my rights are here.

Dandy Don

Stop being so naive--of course you need to sue her. If she knew your address and/or phone, why hasn't she made any effort to contact you about this matter?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">