• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intentional Credit Injury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

droadkingb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

It appears that a former buisness partner is intentionally attempting to ruin my credit. I was a 50/50 partner in a Florida corporation until about last August. At that time, I allowed my partner to purchase my 50% of the company. The purchase/sale agreement completely absolved me of any and all financial responsibility for the company's obligations, so I am not worried about owing any money. About 6 months after the sale, my former partner advised me that one of his employees (his bookkeeper) had committed fraud ($14,000) using a company credit card. Much to my surprise, he also advised me that I was still the "primary cardholder" on the account. In hindsight, it is obvious that I should have taken steps to remove my name from the credit card account. Of course, if I had known that I was the "primary" on the account and that one of his employees was a crook, I would have paid more attention to the details. As I said, the purchase/sale agreement is ironclad, so I am not worried about the money. However, it seems as though my ex-partner is attempting to intentionally ruin my credit, because he is not paying the account. I know he has the money, becasue the business is very succesful. The cedit card statements do not come to me - they are sent to his business. I still receive calls at my home from the collection department of the credit card company looking to me for payment. My question is: If someone is intentionally trying to ruin another person's credit, is that grounds for a lawsuit?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">