• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement collection question.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daviea

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

Hey guys,

I am hoping someone here can give me some advice. I won a judgement against a person in Alabama for $10,000. He and his girlfriend (they have been living together for 10 years but aren't married) are the only two owners of an LLC. The judgement is against him only. He has no personal bank account. He basically uses the LLC as his bank account. Their house is in her name only. Is there any way that I can go after any money that the LLC has? The LLC actually owns property. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

tranquility

You must see an attorney. One quirk, depending on the state, is if you don't get a majority interest. The LLC management could decide not to distribute any cash to the owners and yet still make money. You could end up owning something which is forcing you to pay taxes on the income the LLC makes without providing you any cash.

daviea

New twist.

Guys,

I just found out that the day after I won my judgement, he was removed from the LLC. Is there anything that I can do? This almost seems like fraud or trying to hide assets. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks SO VERY MUCH for the answers provided so far.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">